Decks are a great place to relax and take in the day, a cup of morning coffee, or celebrate with family and friends. While decks can be a source of fun, they can also create hazards. Here are a few considerations about decks which can also be found here:
- More decks collapse in the summer than during the rest of the year.
- There is a slight correlation between deck failure and the age of the deck.
- About 90% of deck collapses occurred as a result of the separation of the house and the deck ledger board, allowing the deck to swing away from the house. It is very rare for deck floor joists to break mid-span.
- Many more injuries are the result of rail failure, rather than complete deck collapse.
- Deck stairs are notorious for lacking graspable handrails.
- Many do-it-yourself homeowners, and even contractors, don't believe that rail infill spacing codes apply to decks.
So while your enjoying your deck, remember to maintain it. Check for loose fasteners, nails or screws which protrude, loose boards, loose or missing handrails. Check the guardrails and especially the spacing between the spindles/balusters. Decks are always inspected by your local Tallahassee Blue Bear Home Inspector at no extra charge. So, stay safe this season and enjoy your deck, family, and food.
Thomas Ailstock, CPI - FL# HI9155
Blue Bear Home Inspection, LLC
Dedicated to providing the Best Service Possible